Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Writing to survive

How long do these blogs survive after our death? Six months? A year? Until the Internet's full and they need the space?

My books will survive me. The hard copy for a few years, and the electronic versions for a few more maybe? How long, I wonder.

I bring this up because it's time I 'fessed-up'. In answer to the question, 'Why do you write?' - a question to which I've provided many fallacious answers – the real answer, for me anyway, is to leave something behind.

The thought of passing away, fading from memory, and leaving nothing … nothing … suffice it to say I don't like that thought.

So! There are three more things I'd like to cast out and perhaps leave the tiniest of eddies in this great river of ours:

1) A song I made up and used to sing while bouncing a Teddy bear along the rail of the crib containing Alex, later Claudia:
My name is Ted
And I've got a big head
And I like to jump in the air-oh.
I spin around
When I leave the ground
So they call me the dancing bear-oh.

2) Another song I made up for the amusement of my youngest children:
Fratchety Dan
Is a strange little man
Who lives at the top of a tree.
He's got a white cat
And a big black hat
And he always shouts at me.

There aren't any stairs
Underneath those pears
So I have to use a ladder.
If I rattle a branch
The cat does a dance
And Dan gets madder and madder.

Oooooooh ..

Fratchety Dan
Is a strange little man
Who lives at the top of a tree.
He's got a white cat
And a big black hat
And he always shouts at me.

3) This is a twelve bar blues number I composed – also for the amusement of the youngest – which I'd sit and sing and play on my little keyboard (we have a small chocolate cocker spaniel called Lily):
Woke up one mornin,
my dog was gone.
Oh, I woke up one mornin,
my daw-awg was gone.
Her name was Lily,
and Lord did she pong.

My house smelled so sweet that I,
Had my friends around.
Yes, my house smelled so sweet that I,
Had my friends around.
But when they'd gone,
Lord I missed that hound.

I got so depressed that I,
Hung myself from a tree.
Yes, I got so depressed that I,
Hung myself from a tree.
I woke up in cotton
And my dog was licking me.

Now I wake up each mornin and I,
Know my dog is home.
Yes,I wake up each mornin and I,
Know my dog is home.
And I know I'm in Hell because,
Lord that dog still pongs.
---

Three things to remember me for.

I hardly knew you, but I miss you Kenny.



No comments:

Post a Comment