Thursday, 11 November 2010

3WW CCX1V

The Thee Word Wednesday words are: gesture, immediate, treasure and they brought back a memory or two - I have no idea why - which I shall share.

Paul made a gesture behind Sarah meaning I should talk to her. He and Janet giggled and went outside to canoodle among the crickets.

We were left alone with a table tennis table between us. Sarah tipped her pretty face forward to hide her grey eyes under a blonde fringe.

Somehow, we spoke to each other through our shyness. Then we went outside and sat together on a wide swing under a starry sky. And we talked. And I knew what happiness was and that I should treasure these moments because even at nineteen, I knew nothing lasted.

From a caravan somewhere, Elton John came over a radio singing, "Daniel my brother, you are older than me .." and I told Sarah about a dusty, red, Angolan airstrip and hanging from the back of a Hercules transport plane, my arms extended, Dave holding my legs. I'm shouting, no, screaming for Colin to, "Run faster. Jump! For fuck's sake jump!" We'd been through basic together – fought in the bush back to back. Brothers in arms. Colin's eyes were dark brown – I see them now as they changed from panicked to dead - I see them now. A hole ripped out of his chest and something clanged into the ramp beside me. Colin took two steps as a corpse then collapsed like a rag doll into the red dust whipped into the flames of hell by the thunderous props of my saviour plane.

Any time I hear that song, Daniel, I'm immediately back in 1973, Hartbeespoort Dam, South Africa, sitting with Sarah. Crying and falling in love.

4 comments:

  1. Any time I hear that song, Daniel, I'm immediately back in 1973, Hartbeespoort Dam, South Africa, sitting with Sarah. Crying and falling in love.


    Beautiful, I can relate to some extent. Never been to South Africa and fell in love. But would like to!

    Beautifully and thoughtfully written

    Wysteria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice use of Prompts!! Nicely Written!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why those words brought us this piece.

    How beautiful.

    Pearl

    p.s. Have not yet started your book -- but will let you know when I do. I can't wait to finish the one I'm half-way through so I can start yours...

    ReplyDelete