Sunday, 28 November 2010

Reviewlette - Brightonomicon by Robert Rankin

I picked The Brightonomicon up at the library after reading "The English Spike Milligan" on the back cover. I'm pretty sure I've read just about everything Spike wrote and even went to see him live where he beat seven bells out of his plastic 'frustration dummy' with a baseball bat if his jokes didn't get a big enough laugh.

This is my first Robert Rankin and, probably, my last.

Our hero, an amnesiac teenager, is saved from drowning by one Hugo Rune, a large, bald geezer who claims to have known Jesus and reinvented the Ocarina. They use symbols found in the Brighton A-Z to help find a missing device which can tune in to the past.

It's amusing, even funny, at times, but I found the relentless punning and fragmented plot a little tedious and had to force myself to finish it.

Mr Rankin has a huge fan base so I urge you to read at least one of his books if you haven't already. Just don't start with this one.  If you do read a Rankin, please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment