Wednesday, 5 January 2011

Socks, exploding toilets and writing

Bad news, like Bologna sausage, is often best delivered as a sandwich.

Soft, crusty bottom slice: I received thirteen pairs of socks for Christmas. Thirteen. How is this a good thing? The last few birthdays and Christmases I've noticed the socks gifted to me have been thin, black, shiny, nylon, barely-above-ankle-socks. The kind of socks modelled by men of advanced years who probably have no more say over their sartorial needs than a strategically shaved chimp has over its resemblance to George Bush. These thirteen pairs are soft, trendily patterned, flash-able, well-above-ankle-socks. (Okay. As good news that sucks. But that's the best I had for 2010.)

The not-so-tasty filling: the toilet in my 'lodge' exploded. I have a three bedroomed wooden hut in Scotland which the rest of the family refer to as 'The Lodge'. Last month the temperature dipped below -20°C. Cold enough to split copper pipes, burst plastic shower housings and splinter ceramic toilet suites. The nice man with a van is still working on it. I wait eagerly for the bill. Not.

Yummy top slice: 2010 has been one of my toughest ever. Book sales have dropped, I only managed to sell  fifteen short stories, other work has been virtually non-existent and self doubt has meant I've started and stopped four novels. The novel situation has been the worst.  One day the idea looks great, the next it's not good enough, so I switch to another. A depressing cycle that threatened to consume me. Until yesterday. A young woman who's writing I admire praised a book of mine. I practically cried with relief that someone thought my efforts were not a complete waste of paper. It  gave me such a boost I've churned out twenty-five thousand words and haven't slept yet. And yes. I do recognise how shallow this need for praise makes me seem. But I don't care. I'm working again.

A belated Happy New Year everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I didn't get socks but I did get kitchen towels. And I'm sorry, why in God's name isn't there heat in the Lodge? I used to live in a similar situation and I always ran a small elec. heater in the bathroom and under the kitchen sink.

    And I'm sorry about your misery. I'm dealing with a few writing issues myself these days. Of course I'm not published yet, but self-doubt has set in, so no work here either. I'm glad for your 25k though. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need a boost every now and then. There's nothing shallow about that! That's awesome that your muse has kicked into high gear. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness me! Exploding toilets? How have I not happened upon your delightful blog before today? Thank you so much for adding your picture on mine, in order for my curiosity to lead me thither!
    Weed strewn musings are SO my thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a word of your fiction and I can tell, just from the three blog posts I've read through this one, you can write your ass off if you want to.

    Ever consider putting something out in ebook form on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc?

    2011 could turn out to be your best year ever :)

    -Selena

    ReplyDelete