Thursday, 10 February 2011

Reviewlette - Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

A crime thriller with a good helping of voodoo thrown in. Based in and around New York, a police officer and his FBI colleague investigate the murder of a friend by someone declared dead a few days previously.

The chapters are short, the action is fast, there's a light sprinkling of humour, it's very easy to read.

Apparently there's a series based on the FBI character, Pendergast. This is my first time reading from this collection and it was completely self contained, so it seems you could dip in anywhere.

The characters are quite ethereal, no depth whatsoever. It's all about pace and plot. And the narrative voice is quite sterile. Perhaps 'efficient' would be a more accurate, and kinder, word. Like a scalpel, which is both sterile and efficient, cutting to the meat of the story with no fuss.

Not a future classic then but a good holiday read for when you're sat under a palm, sipping a tequila sunrise and occasionally squinting through the heat haze to the far blue horizon. (Yes, I'm sick of winter!)

Read it when you have a chance. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Like everyone else, I'm a comment-aholic. Stop by again any time you like. I'll be posting a Writing Exercise vignette soon. Ta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. doesn't voodoo just make EVERYTHING better? it's like kosher salt . . . a little dash . . . and zing!

    screw losing weight. i'm telling you, my new, REAL new year's resolution is to add a little more voodoo to all i do . . .

    but seriously, very cool blog. i'll have to thank pearl.

    and as a side note, one my dearest friends is an aspiring crime thriller writer: http://genresofmylife.blogspot.com . . . will be sure to send her here.

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gary! I followed you "home" from Rach's Crusade post. Nice to meet you! You had asked:
    "Google reader's great for skimming but I can't figure out how to add comments to someone's post without reloading the page. Am I missing something?"
    Rach will probably tell you, but when I want to add comments, I click on the title of the blog, which opens up another window/browser tab; I make my comment and close that window; that way I'm only visiting the blogs I want to leave a comment on. There's also another button that has a Comment view, but I don't use that. I'm not sure what you mean by "reloading the page" so I'm not sure if I really answered your question. If not, ignore this comment. LOL

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete