Thursday, 5 May 2011

Reviewlette - Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear

Our protagonist is woken on a Ship and doesn't know who he is or what he's doing there.

But something's wrong and everything, it seems, is out to kill him.

Hull Zero Three is an SF thriller, a mystery, a - sometimes gruesome - voyage of discovery.

There's not much I can say without giving the game away. But there is one idea that stood out for me ...
** spoiler **
What if mankind's only legacy is a space ship containing the last of Earth's species. The only planet it reaches is inhabited by intelligent life. The only way to survive is to wipe out the new planet's inhabitants. The ship has that capability. Should the space ship's crew allow it? Would they?
** end spoiler **

As well as making me pause for thought, I found it a fast paced, fully transporting, fascinating read but with an ending that wasn't one hundred percent satisfying.

Recommended for all hard SF fans. Let me know what you think.

----------------

Please check out my books here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gary, I'm (half) back from a bit of a blogging absence (pressures of time, you know) and glad to read your review. I like the premise of the book, and it sounds like one that presents good story conflict and tension. I'll keep the title on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed other stories by Bear. Glad to read this one is good.

    ReplyDelete