Thursday, 2 June 2011

Reviewlette: Darwin's Children by Greg Bear

A virus - Sheeva - has created a generation of kids who communicate with flashing freckles and smells. (And by that I don't mean they talk to their patchy pigmentation, or gossip with their flatulence.)
These children are getting ill, some are dying, and it's all because ... well, that would be telling.
The kids are scaring both officialdom and the general populace, so are being herded into, what amount to, concentration camps.

It's a good read. We get to know the characters quite well. The story moves along nicely ... but, I had the feeling I was missing something. After reading it was I told I should have read Darwin's Radio first. *facepalm* That's where we learn about the Sheeva virus and so on.

Nevertheless, I quite enjoyed it. Quite.

If you've read it, or intend reading it, let me know your thoughts.

In the meantime, I'm going to p-pick up a P-Penguin classic and chill.

Oh, I nearly forgot: I recently signed up with the free site, www.dailylit.com. I read about them in the bloggsphere somewhere.

If, like me, you haven't read some important classics, they'll feed you bite sized chunks in your email each weekday morning. I signed up for Moby Dick - I know, I should have read it years ago - and now get a page or two per day. It's divided into about 290 parts, so very quickly and easily digestible. There's a link on each email so you can ask them to send the next bit if you want to go a little faster. A feature I've used quite a lot as I've discovered Moby Dick is frikkin brilliant!

Anyway - I think it's a great idea so thought I'd share.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the dailylit.com tip - I'll head over there and check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review!

    Reading Moby-Dick in a couple pages a day sounds a lot easier than the speed-read I tried. :P

    ReplyDelete